Once the flow of passengers passes a control point (security, passport) which has more than one control position, American Queuing system has clear psychological and physical benefits against individual queues.
- Passengers is neither stressed by long lines even before he lines up nor does it give the impression of chaos.
- They will not ask themselves whether they are in the wrong line, because the waiting time is the same for all passengers.
- The queue will not block because of a "difficult case" which takes longer than usual.
- The waiting time in the queue is not dependent on the performance of a single counter but depends on the number of occupied counters and on the average processing times.
- The movement of the waiting passenger accelerates according to the number of available counters, i.e. the waiting time seems shorter for the waiting passengers (the queue moves constantly forward).
- Individual queues need 76% more waiting area. With large number of passengers, passenger circulation is very limited or even prevented.